Saturday, April 30, 2011

High Five!!

Alright, I'm just gonna update my blog NOW as opposed to risking oversleeping and missing today. I really only had one major event today- but it's a really big one!! I ran the marathon!

1) I ran the marathon!! I know I just said that but I have to reiterate my excitement. I finished with a time of 4:36, which hasn't broke 4 hours but I'm still really dang happy!! So let's go thru it. The race started at 7, but I woke up at 5:30. I started the day by playing Marathon by Rush. Then I showered and ate some breakfast. At 6:30, Steve picked up Chris who was going to drive his car after we got to the starting. There were SO many people running. We had to separate based on predicted finishing time, so being optimistic, I went with the four hour pacers. And we were off!

The first few miles were really fun. We ran down major streets that the police blocked off- something I could never do, at least not legally. Haha. I found two people to run with, Hannah and Hannah. So we stuck together for the first 8-9 miles or so. But then Hannah had a stress fracture so she and her friend went to the medic tent and I carried on by myself. Things went really well for the next few miles as well. We went thru a nature preserve so that was really cool. Then all the marathon runners split off from the half-marathoners.

From that point on I knew I had to do the full 26.2 miles. It was somewhat of a commitment (although it was kinda a commitment ever since I decided to run those many months back.) From then on, things went pretty well. I did the half marathon at 2 hours exactly so I was right in line to complete my goal. But around mile 17-18, my legs started to tighten and cramp up. I had to walk intermittently and reached a point where I knew I wouldn't break 4. I decided instead of focusing on that goal, just to finish. It got really bad when I ran into Hannah and Hannah again. I tried to keep up with them, but couldn't. I ignored everything else and just focussed on finishing.

This was perhaps the worst physical (and mental) pain I have ever willingly gone through. I felt Charlie Horses in both my legs, but was determined to go on. After the 24 mile mark, the finish was so close I could taste it. I had one more walk up a hill, but vowed to finish the last mile running.

And after much excruciating pain, I entered the stadium. Everyone was cheering as I crossed the finish. It was like something straight out of the movies. Steve ran up and gave me a big hug as another lady gave me my medal. It was so painful, but this accomplishment was worth it. Years down the road, I'll always remember 2011 for running the marathon.

2) My family also came down to see me run (but I'm guessing if you're my sole, intended reader, you already know that.) it was really amazing to see their love and support as I went through this. I'm really amazed (sorry to use that word again but my vocabulary is tired...) to find out the first time they saw me was through crazy, random happenstance. I hope they had fun at the arboretum/Japan house and have a safe trip back!!

3) Now, dear reader, I'm going to take a nap. I'm dead tired, but really wanted to make this update (which, mind you took way longer than 2 seconds. It might have to do with the fact that I typed this on my iPod, but either way, good night!!)

1 comment:

  1. This was a really good read! I'm definitely going to comment on number 1! WOW, what an experience. It makes me grateful that we're doing this blog because you explained how it went in much more detail. :) I know it was your goal to finish under 4 hours, but just the fact that you FINISHED is awesome! It sounds like it was extremely hard but I'm glad you don't regret it. Do you think you're ever going to run the marathon again in the future? Or was it like more of a one time thing?

    And geez, you typed it all on your ipod?? :O wow. yes, it definitely took longer than 2 seconds- im sorry i said that in a comment before, i take it back. >.< :(

    Anyways, I wish we got to spend more time together.. But I totally understand that you must be exhausted. Hope you have (or in this case, "had") a good nap. <3 LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete